Spinach, that wonderful vegetable that disappeared, rightfully, from the markets for a while, is back, fresh and pure. We are into some wonderful pastas that are simple to prepare, combine ingredients perfectly, and are wonderful taste treats. Here is one of those: with fresh spinach, lemon and capers.
for the sauce:
- four tablespoons of olive oil
- five cloves of garlic, peeled and finely diced
- two tablespoons of capers
- one-half teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- four tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- two teaspoons of grated lemon rind
- four cups of chopped fresh spinach
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- one quarter cup freshly grated parmesan
one pound spaghetti
In a saute pan, over medium heat, add the garlic. As soon as it starts to sizzle, add the capers and the red pepper flakes. Cook two minutes. Add the lemon juice and rind, one teaspoon of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Stir and cook for another two minutes.
In five quarts of water at a raging boil, add two tablespoons of salt and the spaghetti. Cook until just short of al dente. Set aside one quarter cup of the pasta liquid. Drain.
Re-heat the sauce. Add in the spaghetti and stir. Add the chopped spinach and stir. Add the parmesan and stir. Check for salt. If too dry add some of the reserved pasta liquid. Cover and cook for one minute over medium high heat.